FAQ and Policies
We want your experience at James Hill Photography to be exceptional!
We have found that these FAQs and policies will answer many questions ahead of time.
What is a consultation?
This is where the excitement starts! We get to sit back, relax, and talk about what we can do to tell your story. We want to know everything about you, your kids, your family, your house, your style – everything! We will talk about clothes, and we would love to see images of your home so we can talk about certain wall spaces and plan for something that fits YOU. When your session day arrives, we’ll have a plan so that everything goes smoothly…which means less stress for you. Wheee!
What kind of investment do most families make?
Most of our clients invest anywhere from $1,200 to $4,000, which includes the session fee and any images and products they might order. Everyone’s needs are different; some spend a little more, and some spend a little less.
Just to put it bluntly, we’re not the standard retail children’s photography studio. You won’t just come away with photos of your beautiful children but true works of art that reflect their unique personalities, along with a style that’s all our own. We’re full-service – we don’t just take the pictures; we style them, we interview you, we help you choose where to display the products in your home and which products will work best for your decor and lifestyle, and we spend a great deal of time perfecting each shot and going over them with you. We like to think of it as a true family experience, not just a photoshoot.
Please scroll down for payment option info.
When do I get to see my images?
You will get to see your images projected larger than life in a slideshow set to music during your ordering appointment, 7-10 days after your session. This is one of the BEST parts – so please feel free to bring as many people as you would like. This is the time where you will be asked to place your order. Please be prepared and ready to make these decisions. All decision-makers should be present. If family lives out of town, a gallery of your favorites can be posted online for them to view AFTER you have placed your order.
Can I bring my kids to the ordering appointment?
We want you to have a chance to relax and concentrate on the amazing images and products we have created for you, so please arrange childcare for children under the age of 10. We can also schedule an appointment while your children are in school. Please scroll below for more info on your ordering session.
When do I get to bring everything home?
Please allow 4-6 weeks from your order date for completion of your order. All orders must be picked up from the studio at a scheduled time.
Will you sell us the full-resolution files?
The short answer is no…but let us explain. The truth is, we unapologetically toot our own horn by saying our portraits are works of art and should be treated as such. (If we weren’t so confident in our work, you shouldn’t want to hire us! We want you to feel as confident in our work as we do.) Anything larger than an 8×12 is an art piece for displaying in your home for years and needs special attention, not only to proper resolution but other factors to ensure that our work comes off as beautifully as possible. Please keep reading for more about this…
What are your policies on sessions, ordering, and payment?
- Our session fees are separate from our print orders. Digitals, framed portraits, albums, birth announcements, etc. can be purchased a la carte.
- The session fee is non-refundable but may be applied toward a rescheduled session within 6 months with a 24- to 48-hour cancellation. If your child is sick or cranky, please reschedule.
- Digitals are not included in your session fee. You may purchase your digital collection separately. All digital collections include images that print 11×14 and smaller. Our clients come to us for our creativity, service, expertise, and overall experience…leave the wall art to us!
- Non-ordered images will be held for an additional 60 days after your session date. ALL ordered images will be archived for your safekeeping at multiple locations at no additional fee. After 60 days, non-ordered images will be discarded.
- Please be prepared to schedule a 1-2 hour ordering appointment approximately 5-7 days after your portrait session. These sessions generally take place Tuesday through Friday during business hours. This appointment will be held in our studio, where we will assist you in making your portrait selections.
- The time that we have scheduled together is an ordering session. Please be prepared to place your order during this time that we have together. All decision-makers should be present at this ordering session. If you cannot make decisions about your order without another individual, please reschedule for another day. We also suggest you arrange for a babysitter for small children so you can focus more easily.
- Please make sure to do your “homework” before our appointment. This saves us both time and helps to get your order processing faster. You should have received and filled out the Room Measurement – Photos – Planning Questionnaire. Please return this to us ASAP. Pictures of your living room, baby’s nursery, or children’s room can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. These are very important in order to have a successful ordering appointment! Please send a measurement of one item in the picture, such as a wall or frame measurement. I am going to show you some incredible options for your portraits!
- All orders must be paid in full at the time of placement, or a payment plan will be arranged.
- Cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted.
- Due to the personalized nature of our business, all orders are non-refundable once full or partial payment is received.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to be processed. Your portraits are an investment and an heirloom that should not be rushed!
- 7% GA sales tax is applicable on all orders.
- We do not ship local orders. They must be picked up from the studio. If you are out of state and we do have to ship, the customer will be charged shipping and handling.
- All images remain the property of James Hill Photography and are protected by federal copyright laws. Copying of any kind without permission is strictly prohibited.
We are grateful for your understanding, teamwork, and faith in us!
What was the most humorous moment during a session?
We were photographing a family with a little girl and a newborn. They were all seated in such a sweet position, and the newborn started peeing; it went right in the little girl’s face. She handled it like a champ. You never know what’s going to happen with kids, and we’re prepared for it all!